How to build the GluonPilot code

All questions related to the configuration tool and groundstation

Moderator: lukasz

How to build the GluonPilot code

Postby e_lm_70 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi,

I'm new here ... but I just got one RTF board ... actually one of my most expensive single item as RC toy.

Anyhow ... I just check the Wiki ... and I don't see much help about the development environment.

What I need to install for be able to rebuild the code from the latest released source code ?

Thanks

e_lm_70

ps: Xbee module cost a fortune ... it could be possible to use the FrSky telemetry TX-RX port instead ???
e_lm_70

Re: How to build the GluonPilot code

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:58 am

Hi,

Your modules comes pre-installed with the latest firmware. You can use Gluonconfig to upload newer firmwares (which you can find in the download section).

If you want to develop your own code, you should use Microchip MpLab and the C30 compiler (version 3.12 or earlier). These can be downloaded from www.microchip.com
See also http://gluonpilot.com/wiki/Upgrading_firmware

The sourcecode can be downloaded using SVN from the google code site.

I never tried the FrSky module myself. What is the default baudrate?

I know XBee is kind of expensive, but it's really a a big step forward when using gluonpilot + gluonCS!

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby e_lm_70 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks for the fast reply.

I think it is also needed the Visual Studio for re-compile the configuration and GS software. Is the freeware version from Microsoft good enough for it ?

About the FrSky, it is reported to use 9600bps ... but interesting enough in their HUB they don't use more then 1800/2000 bps. I still have to analyse this more in deep, I plan to use FrSky gears + ATmega168 for build my own ultra cheap and ultra simple UAV system (if I will have time to play with it)

For the FrSky 2.4G two-way owners (like me) using this will save lot of money, since the TX-RX come for free in the TX-RX module (that anyhow need to be used for control the bird in the air on RC gears)

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: My deepest respect for your amazing work ;) ... I'm looking forward to get your module ... going to test on my old 48" wing first .. and then I'm planning to go for a 72" wing, with a 1h autonomy target ...

pps: Planning to have 4 servos control, 2 per wings ... normally 2 additional used as flaps for slow down ... but could be used in resilience mode ... in case 1 servo stop responding, then the other 2 more external can still control the bird ... but ... it will need some code changes

EDIT: Just checked the FrSky HUB that communicate with the RX via a RS232 (TX+RX), and it is confirmed to use 9600bts. Actually if the GlueonPilot will use the FrSky HUB syntax, the board info could be seen straight on the FrSky disply (20$) .. without the need of any PC :mrgreen:
e_lm_70

Postby Tom » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Yes C# express is good enough. The configuration software on the GCS is outdated, I need to update it.

You can configure the speed of the telemetry. At worst you will need to put it at 1Hz or something. Right now the XBee telemetry uses about 260bytes/second (4Hz), which is a bit more than the rate you have. You will need to do some experiments with that. I hope it will work great and then I will buy an FrSky too :-)

Do you have some coding skills to do the changes yourself?

I'm currently building a 100cm endurance wing, let's see which one will stay the longest in the air ;-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby e_lm_70 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks Tom,

Yes I can code, but not coding for Windows since ages, never coded for PCB, but it is looking simple (at least with ATmega) ... I still have to download all the stuff for compile your code ... but I expect your GluonPilot board to work fine out of the box (for the basic UAV)

I think I will reprogram the area related to the telemetries ... I did study a bit the FrSky stuffs ... and I may prefer to have the GluonPilot info on the little FrSky display (this means I will need to use FrSky protocol) ... I don't like the idea to have a PC with me on the field, the GCS look nice, for read the logs after a fly ... but I don't see me controlling my aeroplane via the GCS.

I did order a Serial2Bluetooth micro converter (9.99$ shipped on ebay) ... and I may use a apps on my mobile phone for see some data and maybe set something over it ... but ... I plan to program in advance the waypoints ... and let the aeroplane go on its own ...

100cm wing does not sound a big wing ... I would not expect it to fly much longer then 30min (and it will be already a good result)

I'm planning to order "Zelebanu", an german EPP 185cm wing. Loaded with something like 8000mAh 4S, or maybe ever 12000mAh. But ... I will experiment first with my 2004 EleBee (that has only 10 minutes of WOT autonomy in my current set up)

One question ... does the GluonPilot require digital servos ? What is the servo rate for output ? 50hz ? 100hz ? 250hz ?
My old EleBee has old analogue servo inside (some simple standard futaba analogue one from 2004) ... I'm not going to replace then, so in case I will need to modify the code ... I don't see configurable the servos "speed" on your GluonPilot configuration program

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: FrSky tx-rx and telemetry is quite cheap and it is looking good but if you have already the XBee, this will not bring you any advantage, if not the freedom from a PC on the field
e_lm_70

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Oh no gluonpilot will work fine with any servo. The updates are at 50Hz.

Let me know if you need any help with the coding :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby e_lm_70 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:38 pm

I did managed to compile the firmware.

The C30 compiler is looking an expensive item: 495$ for buy the full version.
If I understood right, after the 30days of evaluation, the compiler will turn into a LITE version, and it will build bigger and less optimized binaries ... :evil:

Did I misunderstand something ?
e_lm_70

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:54 pm

The lite or the academic version (with only basic optimization) both work fine for gluonpilot. You won't notice it!
Tom
Site Admin

Postby e_lm_70 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi,

Just got the board, one question:

I would like to connect the board to the FrSky serial port for get a feedback, but I would like to see the data over the FrSky display.

This implies I need to implement a new TX-RX code over the serial port, to see the data on the FrSky display it is needed to implement the FrSky telemetry protocol (easy coding)

But, if I get correctly there is only 1 serial port available, and this one is used for update the firmware (via the bootloader, but this kick in only at the booting, so not much relevant), but as well for configurations.

Is there another serial port ? Even if I can use the SPI or the I2C this will require some soldering skills behind my capabilities ...

So ... I think the only solution is to enable one additional mode .. maybe putting +5V on RC input 6 (enable the FrSky mode) and putting Gnd on RC input 0 (keep the traditional mode)

What do you think ?

e_lm_70
e_lm_70

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:19 pm

I see 3 options
1. Add some conditional to make the module switch between gluon telemetry and frsky commands.
2. Make a separate firmware version for both variants
3. Try to make them coexist. Gluonpilot will ignore any command it doesnt understand. I suppose frsky will do the same.

(all options use the standard serial port)

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Next

Return to Software